Ingredients (for pressure cooking)
Chana dal (Bengal gram) – ½ cup
Water – 1 ½ cups
Salt – to taste
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp.
Ginger paste – ½ teaspoon
Garlic paste – ½ teaspoon
Oil – 2 teaspoons
Onion – ½ cup, chopped
Green chilies – 2, chopped finely
Tomatoes – 1 cup, chopped
Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoons
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Garam masala – ½ teaspoon
For tadka (tempering) –
Curry leaves – 5-6
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Dry red chili – 1, broken into two pieces
1. Wash chana dal till water runs clear.
2. Soak it into water for 30 minutes.
3. Now discard the soaking water. Add dal & 1 ½ cups water into pressure cooker
4. Add turmeric powder and salt.
5. Cover it & heat on medium flame for 6-7 whistles.
6. Let the pressure down by itself and open the cover.
7. Heat the oil a pan on medium heat. Add ginger & Garlic paste and green chilies & cook them for 30 seconds.
8. Add chopped onions & let it get light brown.
9. Add chopped tomatoes and mix it & let it cook till tomatoes get soften. (approx for 2 min.)
10. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, red chili powder and salt.
11. Mix it for a minute & add cooked dal.
12. Add extra water if needed & let it boil.
13. Tadka: Heat the oil in a small pan on medium heat.
14. Once hot add mustard seeds and let them pop. Then add cumin seeds and sizzle it.
15. Add dried red chili & curry leaves and cook for 30 seconds.
16. Add tempering to the dal. Mix it and serve.
Shelf life – It can be refrigerated once cool completely in air tight container up to 4-5 days or even you can freeze it.
Serving suggestions – Serve it with rice. You can serve with any Indian flat bread like naan, paratha, roti.
– You can adjust the consistency of dal. If dal is too thick then add some water and let it boil for 2 minutes.
– If dal is too thin then let it boil for some more time till it thickens.